Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:10:39 -0700
From: "Thomas C. Greene" <thomas.greene@...register.co.uk>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: New Data Wipe Tools

I've created a few simple shell scripts that use /dev/urandom to wipe data
from the swap partition, wipe unused disk space on the root partition, or
wipe an entire disk.  You'll find them at http://basicsec.org/tools.html.

Data hygiene is generally easier on *nix because there are fewer hiding places
than on a Windows system, but there are no free wipe tools that i'm aware of.
So I got busy.

This is not a perfect solution, but it's a step.  I'd be delighted to knows
from fellow list members what I might do to improve them.  The scripts are
freely available and freely modifyable (is "modifyable" a legitimate word?)

PS: See the README file for cautions, exceptions, and caveats.

thanks,
--tcg

Thomas C. Greene
Associate Editor