Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:59:31 -0500
From: "GulfTech Security" <security@...ftech.org>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Multiple Vulnerabilities In EmuLive Server4

# GulfTech Security Research	       September 20th, 2004
# Vendor  : Emulive Imaging Corporation
# URL     : http://www.emulive.com
# Version : EmuLive Server4 Commerce Edition Build 7560
# Risk    : Multiple Vulnerabilities

Server4 is real-time media broadcasting software that works
in conjunction with Emulive producer software to create
digital television-like channels on the Internet. To web
browsers, Server4 appears as a standard web server. Visitors
to a Server4 system can browse and view available channels,
chat with other users, remotely control cameras, remotely
control devices, create user accounts, extend user accounts,
purchase time and access controlled subscriptions, purchase
one-to-one exclusive conferences, tip channel hosts, purchase
additional time and much much more.

Unauthorized Admin Access:
EmuLive Server4, like a lot of software comes with built in
remote administration features. The administration console
in Server4 lets server admins manage such data as their live
statistics, affiliate management, and eCommerce reports. This
however can easily be accessed by an attacker by requesting
the following url

http://localhost//PUBLIC/ADMIN/INDEX.HTM

notice the "//" after the host info. Normally when an admin
successfully logs in, there is a long session ID in between
those two slashes. So, we can now do anything an admin can
by using a little slash ;) Another interesting thing about
this particular issue, is after I requested an admin page
from a remote machine with a null session id, it gave me the
legitimate session credentials that were gained on another
machine, automatically!

Remote Server Crash:
EmuLive Server4 is a very nice multimedia broadcasting
application. One very useful feature is that it allows remote
connections for production software on tcp port 66. This is
meant for EmuLive Producer, which is a audio/video encoder
software product that works in conjunction with server4 to
create Interactive digital television-like channels on the
Internet. There lies a flaw in the way Server4 handles the
connections made to this port. For example, an attacker can
input a quick sequence of eight or more sets of carriage
returns and crash the server hard. In the tests that I did
it froze up my WinXP Pro machine so bad that I was forced to
press the reset button as it was the only thing that worked.
I am not sure if this issue is remotely exploitable for any
thing other than killing the server, as my machine died
immediately after the death packet was sent, so I could not
read any error messages or responses.

Related Info:
The original advisory and POC can be found at the following location
http://www.gulftech.org/?node=research&article_id=00051-09202004

Credits:
James Bercegay of the GulfTech Security Research Team