Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:21:02 -0500
From: Homer <hparker@...ershut.net>
To: pressinfo@...bold.com
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Diebold Global Election Management System (GEMS) Backdoor
	Account    Allows Authenticated Users to Modify Votes

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 10:05, pressinfo@...bold.com wrote:

> Diebold strongly refutes the existence of any "back doors" or "hidden
> codes" in its GEMS software.  These inaccurate allegations appear to
> stem from those not familiar with the product, misunderstanding the
> purpose of legitimate structures in the database.  These structures
> are well documented and have been reviewed (including at a source code
> level) by independent testing authorities as required by federal
> election regulations.

	And the reason that something this critical isn't open source so that
*everyone* that wants to audit it can is? There is no way I will use one
of those to process my vote till it has been proven to not have back
doors. Independent testers are nice, but not enough to prove beyond a
doubt that there are no hidden entries, and that 1 + 1 still = 2 in your
calculations. Especially with the way this election year is going, I
don't trust *anyone*. Just my 2 cents worth.

--
Homer Parker                    /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
BOFH for homershut.net          \ / No HTML/RTF in email

"Bill Gates reports on security progress made and the challenges ahead."
-- Microsoft's Homepage, on the day an SQL Server bug crippled large
   sections of the Internet.