Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:50:35 -0700 (MST)
From: sin <lists@...ocence-lost.net>
To: Max Tulyev <maxtul@...an.parkline.ru>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: ICMP spoofed source tunneling

I am reposting my reply just because I noticed I originally replied with
an email address that is not on the list.

I could be wrong here-but I was under the impression that not all (?most?)
OS's did not comply w/ rfc 792 in that they do not reply with the full
data- in fact I thought part of that was the basis for OS detection via
icmp (The same reply w/ the whole message, some reply with part, some
mangle the reply, etc). So I thought in the end you may find that it
doesn't work very well on live network's, however I could be wrong here. I
briefly checked the rfc's as I couldn't remember if a host was required to
respond with the full data or not.

Either way it's still interesting, however I think overall many routers
would just silently drop your packets, and some hosts would mangle them.

just my four peso's.