Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:21:35 -0500
From: Simon Zuckerbraun <szucker@...-pr-1.com>
To: Justin.Polazzo@...ilities.gatech.edu, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: RE: Writing Trojans that bypass Windows XP Service Pack 2 Firewall

An EXE would only be able to change firewall settings if it was running
under an account with administrative privileges.

Indeed, a user who conducts day-to-day activities using an
administrative account is very much exposed to the type of attack you
describe (malicious exe writing to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or stopping the
firewall service). Security best practices (on any OS) forbid using an
administrative account for day-to-day activities.

Simon