Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 00:53:49 -0400
From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz@...il.com>
To: "0-1-2-3@....de" <0-1-2-3@....de>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: New URL spoofing bug in Microsoft Internet Explorer

I'm not arguing that this isn't a bug mind you - it certainly is
something that should be looked at. (I haven't tested it myself... no
Windows box handy.) However, you can accomplish basically the same
thing with a little bit of inline javascript:

<a HREF="http://www.google.com/"
onMouseOver="window.status='http://www.microsoft.com/';return true"
onMouseOut="window.status='Done';return true">Click here</a>

Hovering over the link will display the "fake" Microsoft.com link in
the status bar. Leaving the link will revert to saying "Done" when
leaving the link. (Done is what appears in IE after a page is loaded.)
Clicking it will goto Google.com

This trivial, yet effective, method has been used for years for
advertising sites that want to hide the affiliate ID or whatever.
Plus, it's easier then making a table around every link, which will
throw off the formatting in some browers. =) On the other hand, if you
have javascript disabled (or not supported), then this wouldn't fool
you. 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. (Something else to note -
the inline javascript will work across multiple browsers. Not just
IE.) Either way, viewing the page source will reveal the truth,
obviously.

FWIW, I have made a quick page that hosts both "exploits" here as HTML:
 - http://www.guidoz.com/btstatusurl.html

Now you can see them as HTML in case your mail program doesn't.
This was done *very* quickly in kwrite, so no comments about the coding. =P
(Let me know if something doesn't work like it should however and I'll fix it.)

--
Peace. ~G