Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 22:04:38 -0000
From: "Gunter Ollmann (NGS)" <gunter@...software.com>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>,
	"'Crispin Cowan'" <crispin@...unix.com>
Subject: RE: New Whitepaper - "Second-order Code Injection Attacks"

Cool.

I make no claims that this a previously "undiscovered" security flaw.  I
myself have been exploiting these kinds of flaws in web-based applications
for many years as well.  However, the purpose of the paper is two fold.

[Classification] -- Firstly, the paper attempts to classify the second-order
code injection attacks, and differentiate between other immediate effects of
code injection into web applications.  Hopefully making it a little easier
for professional pentesters to explain the significance of their findings.

[Awareness] -- Secondly, too many organisations that I come across don't
really understand what code injection is - everything is either cross-site
scripting or SQL injection.  I believe it is important to clearly
differentiate between the code injection attacks - and to explain their
significance within a corporate environment.

What gets me is that to properly assess the security of any modern web-based
application now days, to properly check for second-order code injection
attacks, security teams must also have access to and assess the supporting
applications as well -- ranging from the customer-support applications
reviewing client account details, through to centralised log analysis and
management tools.  In way too many client pentesting reports I've written
over the years, the exploitation of backend systems/processes through
second-order code injection attacks were far more damaging to their
corporate security than a bit of cross-site scripting and session hijacking
on their exposed web application.

Cheers,

Gunter