Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:25:41 -0000
From: "Gunter Ollmann (NGS)" <gunter@...software.com>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: New Whitepaper - "Second-order Code Injection Attacks"

Jeff,

I see XSS as merely a subgroup of code injection attacks - and it is
important to make that distinction.  While they (as in XSS) still get a lot
of press coverage, they're not particularly remarkable.  The most effective
attacks abusing XSS vulnerabilities to date would probably be within
Phishing attacks - thankfully something that the press havn't focused upon.

The OWASP categories of "stored" or "reflected", while good for a basic
understanding, are a little too limited in scope to cover all XSS
vulnerabilities.  They are certainly inadequate for covering much of the
code injection possibilities.

Having said all that, it still suprises me how many people think that by
testing for <script>alert('XSS')</script> - getting a positive response -
means that an application is 100% vulnerable to XSS.  People need to be a
lot clearer about the types of code injection flaws a web-based application
is vulnerable to -- instead of using a Cross-site Scripting catchall tag.

Cheers,

Gunter