Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 23:44:57 -0500 (EST)
From: "David F. Skoll" <dfs@...ringpenguin.com>
To: Mandrake Linux Security Team <security@...ux-mandrake.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: MDKSA-2004:145 - Updated rp-pppoe packages fix vulnerability

On Mon, 7 Dec 2004, Mandrake Linux Security Team wrote:

>  Max Vozeler discovered a vulnerability in pppoe, part of the rp-pppoe
>  package.  When pppoe is running setuid root, an attacker can overwrite
>  any file on the system.

As the author of rp-pppoe, I take exception to this being reported as
a "vulnerability".  pppoe is NOT designed to run setuid-root.  You may
as well claim that a setuid "cat" has a vulnerability that lets it read
arbitrary files.

Any Linux distro that installs pppoe setuid root is just plain dangerous.

--
David.