Date: 13 Dec 2004 23:54:48 -0000
From: <secure@...antec.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Secure Network Operations SNOsoft Research Team
    [SRT2004-12-14-0322] Symantec LiveUpdate Advisory

<full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com>
>Subject: Secure Network Operations SNOsoft Research Team [SRT2004-12-14-0322] Symantec LiveUpdate Advisory
>Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:28:34 -0500
>
>Quick Summary:
>********
>Advisory Number         : SRT2004-12-14-0322
>
>Product                 : Symantec LiveUpdate
>
>Version                 : Prior to version 2.5
>
>Vendor                  :
>http://symantec.com/techsupp/files/lu/lu.html
>
>Class                   : Local
>
>Criticality             : High (to users of the below listed
>products)
>
>Products Affected	: Symantec Windows LiveUpdate prior to v2.5
>			: Symantec Norton SystemWorks 2001-2005
>			: Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2001-2005
>			: Symantec Norton AntiVirus Pro 2001-2004
>			: Symantec Norton Internet Security 2001-2005
>			: Norton Internet Security Pro 2001-2004
>			: Symantec Norton AntiSpam 2005
>			: Symantec AntiVirus for Handhelds Retail and
>			  Corporate Edition v3.0 Not Affected
>			: Symantec Windows LiveUpdate v2.5 and later
>			: Symantec Java LiveUpdate (all versions)
>			: Symantec Enterprise products (Symantec Enterprise
>                          products do not support the Automatic
>LiveUpdate
>                          functionality with the exception of
>Symantec
>                          AntiVirus for Handhelds Corporate Edition
>v3.0)
>

>Operating System(s):
>********
>	- Win32
>

>Notice:
>********
>The full technical details of this vulnerability can be found at:
>http://www.secnetops.com under the research section.
>

>Basic Explanation:
>********
>High Level Description  : LiveUpdate allows local users to become
>SYSTEM
>What to do              : run LiveUpdate and apply latest patches.
>

>Proof Of Concept Status:
>********
>Functional, Contact SNO for details.
>

>Short Description:
>----------------snip----------------------

----------------------------snip-----------------

Note:  Minor discrepancy in the SecNetOps advisory as posted.
Symantec 2005 products are not vulnerable to this issue as all shipped with Symantec LiveUpdate v2.5

Symantec Security Response Advisory

SYM04-018

Symantec Windows LiveUpdate Configuration Options Elevation of Privilege

Revision History
None

Risk Impact
Medium

Local access required.  Automatic LiveUpdate launches as a scheduled task if so configured and only on systems running retail versions of Symantec products as well as on handheld systems running Symantec AntiVirus for Handhelds Corporate Edition v3.0.  Impact of this issue would result in elevated privilege on the host system only and is highly dependent on system configuration and environment.

Overview
Security analysts from Secure Network Operations, http://www.secnetops.com/ notified Symantec of a potential issue with the NetDetect task that runs as a scheduled task as a part of Automatic LiveUpdate.  If the system is configured as a multi-user system with privileged and non-privileged user access, a non-privileged user could potentially access and manipulate the Symantec Windows LiveUpdate GUI functionality to gain privileged system access.

Affected Components
Symantec Windows LiveUpdate prior to v2.5
Symantec Norton SystemWorks 2001-2004
Symantec Norton AntiVirus and Pro 2001-2004
Symantec Norton Internet Security and Pro 2001-2004
Symantec AntiVirus for Handhelds Retail and Corporate Edition v3.0

Not Affected
Symantec Windows LiveUpdate v2.5
Symantec Java LiveUpdate (all versions)
Symantec Enterprise products (Symantec Enterprise products do not support the Automatic LiveUpdate functionality with the exception of Symantec AntiVirus for Handhelds Corporate Edition v3.0)

Details
Symantec Automatic LiveUpdate, a functionality included with many Symantec retail products as well as on Symantec AntiVirus for Handhelds Corp v3.0, is launched by the system scheduler on system startup and then periodically after startup.  Symantec Automatic LiveUpdate checks for available updates to any supported Symantec products installed on the system using a scheduled task call NetDetect.

When a vulnerable version of Symantec Automatic LiveUpdate was initially launched at startup it was being assigned Local System privileges.  During the period when an interactive LiveUpdate session was available, and only during this session, a non-privileged user could potentially manipulate portions of the LiveUpdate GUI Internet options configuration functionality to gain elevated privilege on the local host.  For example, the non-privileged user could gain privileges to search all system files, assume full permission for directories and files on the host, or add themselves to the local administrative group.

Symantec Response

Symantec engineers had already identified this issue in supported versions of Symantec Windows LiveUpdate and were in the process of addressing it when Secure Network Operations analysts contacted us with their verification of the issue.  Symantec addressed this issue in Symantec Windows LiveUpdate v2.5, which if customers have been keeping their systems updated should have already been installed on affected Symantec products. The latest version of Symantec Windows LiveUpdate is also available for download from the Symantec technical support site at http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/lu/lu.html.

Determining your version of Symantec LiveUpdate:

1. Open any Symantec retail product installed on your system, e.g., Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2004
2. Click on LiveUpdate in the toolbar
3. Click on the LiveUpdate system menu to see the drop-down selections

4. Click on "About LiveUpdate" to see the version of LiveUpdate you are running

If you are running a version of Symantec Windows LiveUpdate earlier than version 2.5, you should either run LiveUpdate to get the latest updates for products on your system, or download the latest release of Symantec Windows LiveUpdate from the location provided above.

Mitigating Circumstances

While effectively exploiting this issue would permit a non-privileged user to gain privileged access on the local host, there are mitigating circumstances that greatly reduce the risk of exploitation in Symantec's Automatic LiveUpdate:

* Symantec Automatic LiveUpdate is only implemented in retail versions of Symantec products with the exception of Symantec AntiVirus for Handhelds Corporate Edition v3.0, which uses Symantec Automatic LiveUpdate to check for essential updates when connected to the network.
* The system is vulnerable only if the interactive LiveUpdate capability is implemented on the system
o Automatic LiveUpdate must be configured with the option enabled to notify the user when updates are available
o If the system is a single-user system, this would not be an issue
o If the system IS configured as a multi-user system with privileged and non-privileged user access to the host system, the non-privileged user would require an authorized user account on the host system and must be logged on interactively to exploit this issue
* Elevated privileges can be gained only on the local system, which normally limits any impact

CVE
CVE candidate numbers will be requested from The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) initiative. This advisory will be revised as required once CVE candidate numbers have been assigned. Issues are candidates for inclusion in the CVE list (http://cve.mitre.org), which standardizes names for security problems.

Credit
Symantec appreciates the work of the Secure Network Operations security team in notifying Symantec of their findings and close coordination with Symantec to properly update and protect Symantec customers.  Information on this and other security issues can be found at their Secure Network Operations, Inc. web site, http://www.secnetops.com/

Symantec takes the security and proper functionality of its products very seriously. As founding members of the Organization for Internet Safety (OISafety), Symantec follows the principles of responsible disclosure. Symantec also subscribes to the vulnerability guidelines outlined by the National Infrastructure Advisory Council (NIAC). Please contact secure@...antec.com if you feel you have discovered a potential or actual security issue with a Symantec product. A Symantec Product Security team member will contact you regarding your submission.
Symantec has developed a Product Vulnerability Handling Process document outlining the process we follow in addressing suspected vulnerabilities in our products. We support responsible disclosure of all vulnerability information in a timely manner to protect Symantec customers and the security of the Internet as a result of vulnerability. This document is available from the location provided below.
Symantec strongly recommends using encrypted email for reporting vulnerability information to secure@...antec.com. The Symantec Product Security PGP key can be obtained from the location provided below.
Symantec Vulnerability Response Policy, http://www.symantec.com/security
Symantec Product Vulnerability Response PGP Key, http://www.symantec.com/security

Copyright (c) 2004 by Symantec Corp.
Permission to redistribute this alert electronically is granted as long as it is not edited in any way unless authorized by Symantec Security Response. Reprinting the whole or parts of this alert in any medium other than electronically requires permission from secure@...antec.com.
Disclaimer
The information in the advisory is believed to be accurate at the time of publishing based on currently available information. Use of the information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are no warranties with regard to this information. Neither the author nor the publisher accepts any liability for any direct, indirect, or consequential loss or damage arising from use of, or reliance on, this information.
Symantec, Symantec products, Symantec Security Response are registered trademarks of Symantec Corp. and/or affiliated companies in the United States and other countries. All other registered and unregistered trademarks represented in this document are the sole property of their respective companies/owners.