Date: 25 Dec 2004 16:34:47 -0000
From: WBG Links <wbglinks@...il.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: CleanCache v2.19: False Sense of Security

This is a similar (if not exact) problem that I found with the program Window Washer 5.x by Web Root:

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/372717

Publisher: ButtUglySoftware
Program Description: CleanCache v.2.19 will clean up your Windows computer, such as IE cache, cookies and temp directories to name a few.

The program description also states:
"Secure file deletion using single, DoD and NSA wiping algorithms"

This statement is simply untrue and fails to properly delete any of the targeted data.

I was easily able to restore %100 of the "wiped" data, after running CleanCache. Files were in fact deleted but using common freeware recovery tools, the "wiped" data was recovered.

Conclusion: This program, in the area of security, does not perform as advertised.

Vendor was contacted, no reply as of yet.

WBG Links
www.wbglinks.net