Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:56:15 +0100
From: "Jens Kalvik" <Jens.Kalvik@...ect.se>
To: "Viktor E Larionov" <viktor@...net.ee>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: SV: Zyxel / Netgear and probably other routers leaking information.

Hi!

I was a bit quick on this, it seems as Zyxels routers latest firmware solves the problem. We made an upgrade from an older firmware to the latest, but forgot to empty the arp cache on the computer, so it looked as the problem was still there. But the problem with Netgear RT311 and RT314 is still there, and they even respond when I ping the LAN side from the WAN side. The firmware used on the Netgear routers are  V3.26(CA.0), this firmware was mailed to me by Netgear, but does not solve the problem. To make it easier for you to understand what I mean you can also see it like this:

1. Configure a computer to be able to surf the Internet using the router as protection.
2. Move the computer from LAN side to WAN side of the router without changing IP configuration.

When you ping the LAN side from the WAN side there will still be an answer, so the router is leaking.