Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 01:50:06 +0100
From: Rainer Duffner <rainer@...ra-secure.de>
To: Vincent Archer <var@...y-all.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: International Domain Name [IDN] support in modern browsers allows
 attackers to spoof domain name URLs + SSL certs.

Vincent Archer wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 04:34:27PM -0800, David Schwartz wrote:
>

>>	I'm not assuming anything, I'm making an argument why it would be
>>self-destructive for any CA to adopt such a strategy. That doesn't mean they
>>won't do it, people certainly do stupid things when they think they can get
>>away with it. But the fact is, CAs can't get away with it. So if they think
>>they can, they will quickly be proven wrong.
>>

>Quickly? When Verisign issued in 2001 a certificate for "Microsoft" to
>somebody who simply said he was a Microsoft employee, and they didn't
>do any check about the identity of the person, what happened?
>
>Nothing. Except issuing a couple of "oops" certificate revocations.
>
>I can't even find a public announce by Verisign stating they would take
>actions to correct their own validation procedures and avoid repetition
>of the incorrect (and for a public CA, inexcusable) behaviour. Everybody
>here hopes they fixed their procedures... but no one even knows.

I, too, would be interested in some kind of "lessons learned"-document,
describing why this could happen at all - and how Verisign wanted to
avoid it in the future.

It's really a pitty that the root-CAs in browsers haven't been subject
to more public scrutiny - now and back then.

cheers,
Rainer

~     Rainer Duffner - rainer@...ra-secure.de     ~
~           Freising - Munich - Germany           ~
~    Unix - Linux - BSD - OpenSource - Security   ~
~  http://www.ultra-secure.de/~rainer/pubkey.pgp  ~