Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:42:56 -0500
From: Anatole Shaw <shaw_bugtraq20050218@...oloop.com>
To: Michael Silk <michaelsilk@...il.com>
Cc: "Scovetta, Michael V" <Michael.Scovetta@...com>,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: SHA-1 broken

Sadly, there is no magic bullet for the SHA-1 problem.  Let me say, in
classic Bugtraq style, that I believe the "temporary workaround for this
vulnerability" is to move to SHA-512 as quickly as possible.

NIST was going to recommend SHA-256 and SHA-512 by 2010, but for the
security-conscious the time is now.

The "computer security response" should not be to re-jigger the hashes,
bet on crypto tricks that haven't seen any review, and guess at the
computational complexity of the result.

The only fix will be informed analysis of the new paper from the Chinese
team (which hasn't even been released yet) and the informed development
of a solid cryptographic response.

Anatole