Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:00:18 +0100
From: exon <exon@...e.se>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: SHA-1 broken

Michael Silk wrote:
> Inline.

Naturally. Likewise.

if(HF2(xxx) == HF2(XXX))
then
HF1(HF2(xxx)) == HF1(HF2(XXX))
regardless of collisions in HF1, since HF1 is fed the same input for
both those inputs. In effect, this means that if HF1 is a perfect hash
(no collisions, ever) it would still collide because it is given the
same input from HF2.

To force a collision to exist in both hashes you would have to do
something like this, which was posted to this list erlier by someone
whose name I can't recall (assume + means concatenation)
output = HF1(input + HF2(input))

Note that this is just off the top of my head and would most likely
depend on the algorithms used, but the input MUST be fed unaltered to
both hashing functions for it to be any stronger than the original
implementation (in theory, that is).

/exon