Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:59:59 +0100
From: Denis Jedig <seclists@...eticon.de>
To: "Discini, Sonny" <Sonny.Discini@...tgomerycountymd.gov>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Office 10 applications & flashdrives can be used to browse restricted
 drives

Discini, Sonny wrote:

> SYMPTOMS
> After you establish a group policy to restrict access to a drive by
> selecting the Hide these specified drives in My Computer and Prevent
> access to drives from My Computer options, you can use a Microsoft
> Office program to browse and read the contents of the drive.

I just hope it won't disappoint you in some way, but using a policy
setting that would advise Windows Explorer to hide drives from users
does not necessarily mean, users can't access the underlying devices
anymore.

The setting you used to prevent access is not a security feature but
rather a convinience setting. It will always be possible to go to the
command shell and view the drives from there. Or to use any third-party
file manager (or even the file manager out of Windows NT 4) to bypass
the Windows Explorer setting to hide drives.

If you want to _really_ prevent access to data, either use appropriate
ACLs (when using fixed drives) or use appropriate third-party-software
which will run as a driver and have hooks into filesystem calls in order
to *really* prevent acces to unwanted media.

Denis Jedig
syneticon GbR