Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:27:42 -0700
From: "Kurt Seifried" <bt@...fried.org>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>, "Kai Howells" <kai@...ketcat.info>
Subject: Re: Firefox Software Update

> It appears that there is a problem with the Firefox Software Update, at
> least in Firefox 1.0 on Windows and Mac OS X.

Someone from Mozilla Org has stated that the automated updates will not be
enabled for sometime since they do not have the infrastructure to support it
yet. Try to remember, Firefox went from <1 million to >10 million installs
in a few months. The amount of infrastructure needed to support even a
fraction of those users updating automatically is significant. You can
upgrade manually (i.e. download and install it from www.getfirefox.com which
directs to the appropriate URL on the mozilla.org website). Or you can wait
for them to enable the 1.0.1 automated update.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007609.html

"We're still working on some with the application update infrastructure and
the installer so for the first few days, we'll only be offering the release
via full download at the website and then turning on the automatic update
system hopefully sometime next week."

In future it sounds like they will have automatic updates enabled as they
come out, which isn't to bad. Try to remember folks, this is FREE (as in
beer and speech) software supported by.. well... not the majority of end
users (i.e. Microsoft gets paid for each copy of IE, through Windows sales,
Firefox does not).

As for bugs in bugzilla, it's OpenSource, you can take a look and fix them,
or pay a developer so they have more time to code fixes for a piece of
software you depend upon (but are not willing to support in any manner).

Kurt Seifried, kurt@...fried.org
A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
http://seifried.org/security/