Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:16:51 +1100
From: Michael Silk <michaelslists@...il.com>
To: Michael Roitzsch <amalthea@...enet.de>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: thoughts and a possible solution on homograph attacks

Michael,

 I don't think this solution is appropriate at all. (For those that
didn't read the PDF, the idea is to have the user _type in_ the domain
name of a url they clicked on).

 Clearly, this won't work at all from a users point of view. It would
be far too annoying. Your saving scenario is also not very
appropriate, because consider if a malicious user on that persons
computer saves 'bank1.com' to map to 'hackerbank1.com'. The problems
become obvious.

 As for a solution to the problem, perhaps browsers can just notify
the user when a domain they clicked contains unicode characters, and
display the URL in some special fashion. (I can't think of anything
that would be appropriate, however :)

-- Michael (Silk)

--
Please adjust the reply-to address.