Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:20:35 +0200
From: Eitan Caspi <eitancaspi@...oo.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Re: Symantec Antivirus client locally created scheduled scan is
 not running if the local console is logged off

Hello Bone Machine,

First of all, I would like to apologize I forgot to mention exactly that the
issue is ONLY with the "Corporate Edition" client, and not with any other
client by Symantec, as far as I have checked, since this is the only version
I have checked.

The issue here is with the initialization of the scan, and not the scan
itself - since scans created centrally and delivered to the clients - DO run
at the expected date and time, whether you are logged in or logged off,
using the same process ("rtvscan.exe") as the locally created scans use.

I believe you are mixing things up. You wrote: "When a scan is scheduled
using the user-part, the user-part checks if it is time to perform a scan."

The creation of the scan and the initialization of the scan are two
different things, not related to each other:
1. The scheduled scan is created locally via the user interface, by a logged
on user. After the scan is created, the "logged on" part is finished.
2. The check if there are any scans to run at all AND if it is time to start
any scan - is done by the service, and thus does not needing any logged on
user.

The scheduled scan created is simply a set of definitions waiting to be
initialized by the client's service. After all, this is the whole idea of a
service - not needing a logged on user to perform actions.

Regards,

Eitan Caspi
Israel

Blog (Hebrew): http://www.notes.co.il/eitan
Blog (English): http://eitancaspi.blogspot.com

"Technology is like sex. No Hands On - No Fun." (Eitan Caspi)