Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:15:42 -0500
From: Adam Shostack <adam@...eport.org>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Cc: BugTraq <bugtraq@...urescience.net>, cryptography@...zdowd.com
Subject: Re: Secure Science issues preview of their upcoming block cipher

Really?  How does one go about proving the security of a block cipher?

My understanding is that you, and others, perform attacks against it,
and see how it holds up.  Many of the very best minds out there
attacked AES, so for your new CS2 cipher to be "provably just as
secure as AES-128," all those people would have had to have spent as
much time and energy as they did on AES.  That strikes me as unlikely,
there's a lot more interest in hash functions today.

Adam

PS: I've added the cryptography mail list to this.  Some of the folks
over there may be interested in your claims.