Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:51:21 +0200
From: Lode Vermeiren <lode@...u.cx>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, incidents@...urityfocus.com,
	Randy <rho@...net.edu>
Subject: Re: Discovering and Stopping Phishing/Scam Attacks

Op di, 26-04-2005 te 13:13 -0700, schreef Randy:
> Seems like a maintenance nightmare waiting to happen.
>
> ~randy

Renaming the files would indeed be a maintenance nightmare, but I don't
see a reason why the webserver hosting the image can't do a referrer
check, and only serve the real images if they are being loaded from the
real domain. In all other cases they could return a "THIS IS A FAKE
PAGE" image, or perhaps even some shock site[1]

Lode

[1] please don't follow any of the links on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_site
You have been warned.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.