Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 20:51:12 -0700
From: ChayoteMu <chayotemu@...il.com>
To: "devnull@...ents.montreal.qc.ca" <devnull@...ents.montreal.qc.ca>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Publishing exploit code - what is it good for

I'm not too sure if this would help much but from a student standpoint
I understand FAR more about how the security works by knowing how to
break it, which only really works if I have source code and so
full-disclosure exploits. I KNEW what a shellcode and buffer overflow
were for years but I only UNDERSTOOD it after I read "Hacking: The Art
of Exploitation" because it broke it down for me (excellent book BTW).
Now I understand how an overflow exploit works, but don't understand
how a particular one works against a particular program without the
exploit code that I can go over and go "Oh, so that's how it does it."
The idea is that the next generation of security pros (and the current
ones I assume) need the information to be a step ahead by
understanding the tricks used by the exploit, otherwise they're always
playing catch-up to the latest exploit.

--
"To catch a thief, think like a thief. To catch a master thief, be a
master thief."