Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:23:51 +0530
From: Raghu Chinthoju <raghu.chinthoju@...il.com>
To: Gandalf The White <gandalf@...ital.net>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: A comment on using CPU resources

This isn't a new thing, stealing CPU cycles this way is known for some
time now. The following are the reasons I guess why this isn't
feasible:

1. No anonymity. The code is directly visible to the victim.
2. As long as any script is running, the browser shows that the page
is still being loaded. This might drag suspicion to view whats in the
page or the user might simply cancel loading (ie the java script).
Time consuming scripts might have less chances.
3. There are many better ways for a determined CPU thief. For example,
there are plenty of vulnerable machines connected to Internet offering
their everything to hackers in a silver plate.
4. If CPU cycles were really in huge demand, some one could just start
a business offering to pay for in return to lending idle CPU. Guess
not a bad idea ;-)

cheers!
Raghu