Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:11:00 -0400
From: "Black, Michael" <black@...exCorp.com>
To: "Crispin Cowan" <crispin@...ell.com>,
	"James Longstreet" <jlongs2@....edu>
Cc: "Derek Martin" <code@...zashack.org>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: On classifying attacks

You might try re-using the rather large effort that went into the CERT
taxonomy:
http://www.cert.org/research/taxonomy_988667.pdf

You'll note the complete lack of "local" and "remote" in the taxonomy.

The email example of "rm -r /*" being executed would be:
Attack:
	Tool: Information Exchange
	Vulnerability: Design
	Action: Delete
	Target: Data
	Unauthorized Result: Corruption of Information

Remote exploit of Bind (causing "rm -r /*" to be executed):
Attack:
	Tool: User Command
	Vulnerability: Design
	Action: Delete
	Target: Data
	Unauthorized Result: Corruption of Information

Remote exploit of Bind (causing a shell to be opened):
Attack:
	Tool: User Command
	Vulnerability: Design
	Action: Bypass
	Target: Account
	Unauthorized Result: Increased Access

If you really want to stick with "remote" and "local" I think you can
define them thusly:
Remote -- control/access of resources occurs from outside the
machine/network
Local -- control/access of resources occurs on the local machine (i.e.
no network connection required)

Using this definition the email example is local and both bind examples
are remote.  The bind vulnerabilities are completely solved by
unplugging the machines from the network whereas the email machine may
still be vulnerable after being disconnected.

Michael D. Black, MSIA, CISSP, IAM
Information Systems Security Officer
Essex Corporation
black@...excorp.com