Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:22:53 -0400
From: "Bret Morey" <bam159@....edu>
To: "'Robert Thompson Jr.'" <rthompson@...umbiabank.com>,
	"'Jared Johnson'" <jaredsjazz@...oo.com>,
	<focus-ms@...urityfocus.com>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Peter Gutmann data deletion theaory?

A simple format is nothing like a low level format or a 3* overwrite.  It is
theoretically possible to recover sporadic portions of data on a drive that
has been 3* overwritten, by utilizing special equipment to pick up that
areas that remain between tracks, but it requires equipment that is
typically prohibitively expensive and the chances of reconstructing a
significant amount of data are very slim.  Consider this methods reliance on
write head wobble, and the fact that if the write heads are wobbling during
the original write, they will also wobble during the 3 recursive 1 and 0
overwrite passes,  meaning that you not only have to read the remaining data
between the tracks, but you also have to distinguish between the original
data and the overwrite pass data, but you also have to manage to recover
enough contiguous data to reconstruct files and also figure out how to
reassemble it correctly.  I have yet to hear anyone claiming to have
actually been able to recover and reconstruct the data from a system that
has been 3* overwritten per dss standards.  And if you are that concerned
about data being recovered from decommissioned drives you can do like we
used to, and disassemble them and sandblast the platters.  Or you can simply
send them to NSA, who to the best of my knowledge still degausses drives
free of charge with degaussers that are in some case actually capable of
physically destroying the platters.

If I am mistaken and someone has actually developed a method for reliably
reconstructing data from a drive that has been overwritten 3 times I would
be very interested in hearing about the details of the equipment and methods
involved.

regards
-Bret