Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 13:19:15 -0600
From: "Mark Senior" <Mark.Senior@....ab.ca>
To: <liudieyu@...rella.name>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE:  Re: secure client-side platform

Your attack tree below is of the form:
 A and ( B or C or D) and E

I submit a simpler one of the form:
 A or (B and C)

A - there is an exploitable vulnerability (in the remote-code-execution
sense) in the DNS response handling code on your livecd.  You send out a
query, a malicious response reaches you before the real one & gets
through the firewall, and you're done.

OR
	B - There is an exploitable vulnerability in the public key
verification process in the browser on your livecd.  This vulnerability
could be a remote-code-execution vulnerability, or it could be limited
to causing the browser to present a certificate as legitimate when it
isn't. AND

	C - The attacker is able to redirect you to a malicous https
server by e.g. DNS, ARP, or routing protocol attacks somewhere upstream.

C should be pretty much taken as a given, otherwise why bother with SSL
at all?

Regards
Mark