Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:30:24 -0600
From: "Mark Senior" <Mark.Senior@....ab.ca>
To: <medhead@...gmandesign.com>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: FileZilla weakly-encrypted password vulnerability: advisory + PoC

I understand that you're not necessarily endorsing the developer's
stance, so please take no offence.

The below posting is evidence that the FileZilla developers are infected
with a DOS mentality - the assumption that every computer will be used
by only one person.

The developer is being disingenuous when he lists:

> 3. Encrypt settings using a master password, don't save the
> master password at all, request it from the user on startup.
> Not implemented in FileZilla, partially because of
> 4. Use the tools the operating system provides to protect
> data, that is access rights and file encryption. Though
> obviously the user has to setup this for himself.

In fact, the user doesn't have to set up 4. for himself - the OS has
already set up ACLs for his home directory on his behalf.  The user may
even have set up encryption for his home directory too.  Having done
this, a user should be able to assume that he has done his bit, and his
programs won't go littering his passwords all over the filesystem and
the registry.

The correct place for a file that contains a user's passwords in
plaintext (obfuscated or not) is under the user's home directory, which
is already protected by filesystem ACLs.  Writing a user-specific XML
file in a globally accessible directory is actually actively avoiding
the tools the operating system provides.  Putting the file under
%PROGRAMFILES%\FileZilla\ (and correspondingly requiring that every user
have write access to that folder - effectively requiring that the
program be run as a local admin) is just dumb.

As for point 3. it's not a bad idea either, and could perhaps be
usefully be done in addition to 4.  (a la PasswordSafe)

Regards
Mark