Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 00:28:19 +0530
From: "Debasis Mohanty" <mail@...kingspirits.com>
To: "'Paul Laudanski'" <zx@...tlecops.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk,
	'Zone Labs Security Team' <security@...elabs.com>
Subject: RE: Different Claims by ZoneLabs on the "Bypassing
	PersonalFirewall (Zone Alarm Pro) Using DDE-IPC" issue

Paul,

>> This does not include the version 3.7.159 you are testing.

Didn't get the meaning by what you mean by "This does not include". Do u
mean whether or not version 3.7.159 is vulnerable it shouldn't be
conscidered??

>> In my interpretation of the report the vendor is not stating that said
version
>> is "unaffected".

Here is the snip from the vendor's advisory which has the section
"unaffected" Products -
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/securityAlert/35.html

<snip>
Unaffected Products:
====================
ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm AntiVirus, ZoneAlarm Wireless Security, and
ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 6.0 or later automatically protect against
this attack in the default configuration.

ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm AntiVirus, ZoneAlarm Wireless Security, and
ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 5.5 are protected against this attack by
enabling the "Advanced Program Control" feature.
</snip>

I am sure you haven't missed this in the advisory. Now there are two points
that I raised in my response to ZA Labs advisory are -

1. 	Vendor giving a subjective statement as ZA Pro is unaffected. Does
this mean all versions of ZA Pro are
	unaffected ??? I am afraid this is not the case, as mentioned
earlier and stating it again that ZA Pro version
	3.7.159 is vulnerable.

2.	Zone Labs statement to news.com contradicts its own advisory which
states -

	<news @ news.com>
	The issue affects the popular free ZoneAlarm firewall and default
installations of version 5.5 and earlier of the
	paid product, maker Zone Labs said in a security advisory on
Thursday. Default installations of the Check Point
	Integrity Client are also affected, but the paid ZoneAlarm 6.0
products, released in July, are not, Zone Labs said.

	Read more...here:

http://news.com.com/Malicious+code+could+trick+ZoneAlarm+firewall/2100-1002_
3-5886488.html
	</news @ news.com>

	Well, the statement given to news.com by Zone Labs seems to be
contradicting its own advisory. As per the statement 	to news.com -> The
affected versions are :
	-	free ZoneAlarm firewall and
	-	default installations of version 5.5 and
	-	earlier of the paid product
	-	Default installations of the Check Point Integrity Client
are also affected

	This statement contradicts the advisory released by Zone Labs....

>> Ergo... time to upgrade!

Funny that you still think I have gone ahead with the test and a public
disclosure without knowing that they have a nice upgraded version available
;-) Don't mind but incase you have not read the PoC completely then kindly
read the "Solution" section in the PoC where I have mentioned about the
"Upgrade". :)

- D