Date: 7 Oct 2005 20:13:13 -0000
From: ak@...-database-security.com
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Re: Opinion: Complete failure of Oracle security response and
 utter neglect of their responsibility to their customers

Hello

I agree with David's and Cesar's opinion.

Here are 3 examples how Oracle is dealing with security:
+++

Last week (28-sep-2005) I've got an email from Oracle secalert (secalert_us@...cle.com, signed with the Oracle PGP key). They asked me to remove my already published Oracle security advisories from my webpage (http://www.red-database-security.com/advisory/published_alerts.html ) to "protect Oracle's confidential information".

I declined their request.

Removing already published content from the internet is (nearly) impossible and a waste of time. It's better to use this time to make the products more secure or the patches more stable.

+++

786 days ago I reported a remote exploitable bug (via a simple URL) in Oracle Reports server. An attacker could abuse this bug to destroy an entire Oracle Application Server by overwriting files. This bug is still unfixed (786 days later).

I hope Oracle will fix this bug in the next CPU in october. In the meantime you could use a workaround developed by Dirk Nachbar (http://www.trivadis.com/Images/OASSecurityHoleE_11092005_tcm17-14060.pdf)

According to Oracle "its policy is to fix vulnerabilities in order of severity, starting with high-priority issues" (see article from 20-july-2005 http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/holes/story/0,10801,103350,00.html). If a remote exploitable bug can wait more then 2 years what other bugs have a higher priority?

I know that fixing a security bug costs time and money. Large organisation, multiple platforms, different versions, backports, ...
I don't expect a patch within a few (30) days. But 786 days?
As recommended by David all customers should talk with Oracle sales, Oracle support, ...

There are still some other open security bugs from 2003. See
http://www.red-database-security.com/advisory/upcoming_alerts.html

+++
It seems that the Q/A of the Oracle security patches is non existing:

The latest July CPU 2005 for the Oracle database was modified several times. Oracle is still using the same patch number. No additional version information/sub-version was provided:

Re-Upload Dates:
 14-july-05, 18-jul-05, 20-jul-05, 27-jul-05, 01-aug-05, 09-aug-05, 26-aug-06, 29-aug-05

Some of the reasons for re-upload the patches are:
CDC.jar was missing, a wrong version of modplsql.so was included, catpatch.sql did not update the registry entry, the fix for a non security-bug was missing (Mixing security and non-security bugs is a strange behaviour), ...

All this information is available on Oracle Metalink:
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=311062.1

Regards

Alexander Kornbrust

----