Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:41:14 +0200
From: "Andrey Bayora" <andrey@...urityelf.org>
To: <mgotts@...ads.com>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: Multiple Vendor Anti-Virus Software Detection Evasion Vulnerability through

Hello Mark,

> vulnerability is limited in our products to one specific type of potential
> virus file
It is .bat files (if I remember).

>which is not commonly allowed in most IT systems
Yes, I think organizations must implement good e-mail policy that blocks all
executable file types (or allow some file types that needed for business and
block the rest).

>and needs to be executed manually
Maybe it is not always true if some virus drops locally .bat file and then
executes it.

I did not check this issue with the current definitions and updates, but
important point is that I used .bat, .html and .eml file types with the
magic byte of .exe file - I believe that such vulnerability can be
implemented with other file types and possibly with other magic byte. The
vendors must patch the LOGIC (algorithm) of the scanning to address this
issue.

Best regards,
Andrey Bayora.