Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:52:55 -0000
From: "David Litchfield" <davidl@...software.com>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>, <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	<dbsec@...elists.org>
Subject: Database servers on XP and the curious flaw

Hey all,
I've just put up a paper on a curious flaw that appears when running a
database server on Windows XP with Simple File Sharing enabled. The flaw
essentially allows a remote attacker to gain access to the database,
sometimes with DBA privileges, without knowledge of a valid password. To be
honest, no-one is really to blame; it's just one of those cases where you
take two disparate mechanisms, shake them up, add a dash of lime and serve
up. The paper can be found here
http://www.databasesecurity.com/dbsec-papers.htm and is entitled "Database
Servers on Windows XP and the Unintended Consequences of Simple File
Sharing". It doubles-up as my entry for the "Longest Title" award.
Cheers,
David Litchfield
http://www.databasesecurity.com/
http://www.ngssoftware.com/