Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 22:41:42 +0000 (GMT)
From: Richard Fuchshuber <richardfuch@...oo.com.br>
To: Will Wesley <willwesleyccna@...oo.de>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: RE: XSS on Yahoo Mail

  Hi,

--- Will Wesley <willwesleyccna@...oo.de> escreveu:

> This is not exactly a problem with Yahoo!, but rather
> a problem with the way browsers tend to render HTML
> when forced to deal with broken tags. Your "<?
> thing, since a browser will consider everything from <
> to the next > as a tag. Since <? is not recognized the
> whole thing is ignored.
>
> The real problem is that you are injecting a TR
> element into the middle of a TD, then closing the
> table without first closing the TD. Any web developer
> who would do such a thing is a moron, and your browser
> does the best it can to make sense of it. You might
> try asking Yahoo how to turn HTML off, or simply use
> POP with a text only reader to work around this.

It isn't necessary to close the table, you just need the <tr></tr> part (I
had not noticed this before your mail). You can also use other tags to get
different results.

Anyway, I think that to prevent injection of HTML code into Yahoo! Mail
interface something should be done, since it could be used to fool users.

Cheers,

Richard