Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:57:06 -0500
From: "Derick Anderson" <danderson@...us.com>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: WMF Exploit

F-Secure
(http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/archive-122005.html#00000752)
mentioned a Microsoft workaround (which I actually did not see in the MS
TechNet bulliten they linked to):

----

Un-register the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (Shimgvw.dll)

1. Click Start, click Run, type "regsvr32 -u
%windir%\system32\shimgvw.dll"
(without the quotation marks), and then click OK.

2. A dialog box appears to confirm that the un-registration process has
succeeded.
Click OK to close the dialog box.

Impact of Workaround: The Windows Picture and Fax Viewer will no longer
be started
when users click on a link to an image type that is associated with the
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

To undo this change, re-register Shimgvw.dll by following the above
steps.
Replace the text in Step 1 with "regsvr32 %windir%\system32\shimgvw.dll"
(without the quotation marks).

----

It's highly dumbed down but suitable for bulk distribution to the
average user =). Additionally F-Secure mentions sites related to the
attack, blocking them is an interim solution.

Derick Anderson