Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:13:56 -0600
From: "Matthew Schiros" <schiros@...il.com>
To: "Kevin Waterson" <kevin@...ania.net>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: PHP as a secure language? PHP worms? [was: Re: new linux malware]

PHP, like any and all projects, does indeed have security flaws.  So
does MySQL.  So does Linux.  So does sshd.  So does Windows.  To claim
that we should abandon any individual service simply because it has
security bugs is absurd.  Yes, there are non-trivial problems with
PHP's memory management, but the same could easily be said for Java as
well.

I don't really get Gadi's point.  Is he claiming that keeping up to
date on security fixes is too much of a hassle for him?  Or is he
claiming that he doesn't want to use PHP applications, because they
are often riddled with security holes?  Or is he just bitching in
general that there's insecure software out there?  It seems like it's
probably the latter.  When's the last time you saw a super-secure
program written in Perl, or ColdFusion, or ASP, or any other web
language for that matter?  People do buffer overflow attacks on Apache
all the time, is he planning on abandoning that?

Security requires vigilance, get over it.