Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:16:01 -0400
From: Lee Kelly <robert.kelly@...izonbusiness.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: RE: Oracle - the last word

Actually I would think this information would be only as good as the person
doing the testing, and in fact may lead to a false timeline. To continue
using Mr. Litchfield's example consider the following:

- The bugs (regardless of number) found in a day could have been blatantly
obvious;
- The bugs that took two weeks to find may have been more technically
obscure, or it may be that Mr. Litchfield had other things to do rather than
spend all his time looking for bugs;
- From this, and previous postings, I am going to take for granted that Mr.
Litchfield is an Oracle expert although we have never met to my knowledge.
That being said, how long would it take a novice (or someone less skilled)
to find these same bugs. I think even Mr. Litchfield would agree that there
are malicious people out there just as expert, maybe even more so, than he
is regarding Oracle products.
- Level of effort also has to take into account when the research started
versus when the application/patch/upgrade was released. For example let's
say that 10gR2 was released on April 1st (don't actually know, just picking
a date) and Mr. Litchfield was on vacation or travel until April 8th. If it
then took him two weeks to find these bugs the 'bad guys' will have had a
week headstart over his research. I understand that more people than Mr.
Litchfield are doing this research but this would need to be factored in the
equation.

All this being said -- I am not taking the position that this information
would not be 'interesting', but I don't thing it would "provide a more
concrete answer to the question "how secure is software X."

Thank You,

Lee Kelly, CISSP