Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 12:17:31 +0100
From: "David Litchfield" <davidl@...software.com>
To: "Ferguson, Justin (IARC)" <FergusonJ@...doe.gov>,
	"'Adam Shostack'" <adam@...eport.org>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, ntbugtraq@...tserv.ntbugtraq.com,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, dbsec@...elists.org
Subject: Re: How secure is software X?

Hi Justin,
> One thing you have to keep in mind is that a lot of things are incredibly
> variable when dealing with this subject. For instance, suppose you want to
> ensure that the URI in a web server is not overflowable. So you test with
> something like
>
> GET /[AAAAAAAAA x 4096] HTTP/1.1
> Host: foobar.com
> Connection: close
>
> This is all fine and well, unless at 8192 is where the overflow takes
> place,
> or if I can stick as many characters as I want in, so long as I am using
> HTTP 1.1 and not HTTP 0.9, or if I am using HTTP/1.1 and Host doesn't
> contain a 36 backslashes, et cetera.
>
> This is generally why fuzzing is mostly inconclusive because it often
> misses
> a lot of conditions and you have essentially assured nothing. Without
> in-depth analysis of each software package you are basically pushing snake
> oil. There are just far too many variables to really standardize such a
> thing.

There are a few things to remember:
1) There are still too many products that fall to simple fuzzing. Having a
standard that employs fuzzing as part of it means that (hopefully!) vendors
will develop at least to that level - this raises the bar so to speak.
2) Not all fuzzers are born equal. Having written a fair few in my time I do
realize that condition based fuzzing is important. A very simple but quite
common example, to add to the ones you given, is with SMTP fuzzing. Some
overflows only trigger after an EHLO greeting but not after a HELO. A good
fuzzer and a good fuzzing process should take into consideration as many
conditions as possible.
3) Fuzzing would only be part of the standard to be proposed. There are
code/assembly scanning tools which can be incorporated amongst other things.

Cheers,
David