Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 07:44:43 -0600
From: "Sterling, Chuck" <csterlin@...p3.wstf.nasa.gov>
To: cbrenton@...isbrenton.org
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: RE: Checkpoint SYN DoS Vulnerability

 Would the firewall behavior in attempting the three-packet handshake be
dependent on a large number of connection attempts in a relatively short
period of time, or should a slow scan, say nmap with -T set at 2, also
trigger its returning the SYN/ACK on behalf of the target?

Reason for question:
In one case with which I am particularly familiar, a system was set up on a
spare interface on a Nokia IP530 running IPSO 3.8-BUILD051 and CP FW-1 R55.
The system ran a default nmap port scan of addresses on other Nokia
interfaces except the one facing VictimLAN (the Internet), using its own
address and two "decoy" addresses assigned to external networks on the
Internet. I ran some slow scans (-T = 2) and some faster ones. The firewall
rules were configured to block almost all the traffic from the decoy
addresses. The actual system address was in the local LAN address space and
much of the traffic using that address as source was accepted, but for my
purposes ignored; I was interested in validating the firewall rules with
respect to inbound connections from VictimLAN. Without going into excessive
detail, the general result was that the firewall did log most traffic from
the decoy addresses as blocked when expected, however the firewall attempted
to complete the three-packet handshake with the source (decoy) address in
spite of the traffic ultimately being blocked (according to the log; I did
not snoop the scan destination interfaces). The net effect at first glance
by an external observer (during a faster scan) was that many addresses
within my network (the scan destination addresses) were attempting to
contact two particular external addresses (the decoys), and I was alerted
that a whole lot of my systems were compromised and trying to "phone home"
using a small number of destination ports (actually the source ports nmap
used for the decoys). Got that sorted out. Later I found out that the same
behavior occurred unnoticed by the external observer during the slow scans.

I never did get a satisfactory explanation as to why the firewall would
behave in this manner, especially during the slow scans. Any insight?

Chuck Sterling
505.524.5661

Prediction is difficult, especially the future.
...Niels Bohr