Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 19:43:40 +0200 (CEST)
From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@...ell.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Novell Client login form enables reading and writing from and
 to the clipboard of the logged-in user

> Suggested Risk Level: Low.
>
> Type of Risk:  Information Leakage, Information Injection, Unauthorized
> Access.
>
> Affected Software:  Novell Client for Windows, versions 4.9 and 4.8 (On
> windows XP Pro and Windows 2000 Workstation).
> This versions are the only one tested, thus other version may be vulnerable
> as well.
>
> Local / Remote activation:  Local.

> 1. Anyone with access to the computer's local operating system console, one
> using the Novell client login screen (when the console is locked), can view
> a textual content of the clipboard of the locally logged in user, by
> performing a paste command into the "user name" field of the login form.

We thank Eitan Caspi for his precise analysis of the problem and for
thoroughly working with us on it. Specifically, we confirm the low
severity rating of this information leakage, which is why we allow
ourselves more time than usual to investigate an entirely satisfactory
solution to the problem. If there will be an update for this issue, our
customers and users will benefit from it through the regular channels.
The publication of Eitan's findings is the correct next step - again, we
thank him for his valuable work.

[...]

> Eitan Caspi
> Israel