Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:07:00 +0700
From: "Memet Anwar" <mmta.gm@...il.com>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: Circumventing quarantine control in Windows 2003 and ISA 2004

I'm aware of Mark's and 3APA3A's points: anything accessible and executed
locally can be circumvented. That's why I call such quarantine mechanism a
design error. This maybe one of the reason of the complexity in TNC spec
from TCG (https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/specs/TNC/).

Doing the grading at the server end, such as those offered by the agentless
mode of StillSecure's product (thanks to Roger for the ref) does increases
the bar, and I think should be considered for now until NAC/NAP matures
enough.

For ISA/RRAS, one could write an rqs.exe replacement that initializes remote
scanning tools (i.e. mbsacli.exe) against the quarantined machine's IP, and
made the decision based on the result.

Cheers,
Memet

Side note to 3APA3A: admin access is not required to modify files from
user's CM profile.