Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:34:39 -0700
From: Marc MERLIN <marc_news@...lins.org>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: [MajorSecurity #18] Ralf Image Gallery <=0.7.4  - Multiple XSS, Remote File Include and directory traversal vulnerabilities

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 02:32:16PM -0000, admin@...orsecurity.de wrote:
> Credits:
> Discovered by: David "Aesthetico" Vieira-Kurz
> http://www.majorsecurity.de
>
> Original Advisory:
> http://www.majorsecurity.de/advisory/major_rls18.txt
>
> Affected Products:
> RIG 0.7.4(unstable) and prior
> (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=54367&release_id=179661)
>
> RIG 0.6.45 and 0.7(stable) and prior
>
> Contacted Vendor:
> I have contacted Le R'alf on June, 12th 2006 at 2:37 PM via e-mail, but until today I got no response
> and the bug was still not fixed!!!

So, for the record, R'alf never received the mail, never had a trace of it
reaching its smtp server in his logs, and neither him or I heard back from
Mr Vieira-Kurz when asking for information about that original mail like the
destination or Message-Id.

In other words, instead of giving the author a chance to fix the software,
get/give peer review on the fix, and a chance to the users to upgrade
their servers, his work helped create more nodes in botnets that tried/are
now trying to attack your machines, and send you spam.

Full disclosure is good, but a minimum of effort trying to prevent the
negative and unnecessary effects of it would go a long way to make this
internet a better place.

That said, R'alf fixed the software soon after being really notified (i.e.
his machine being attacked after the info posted here), and the fix can be
found here:
http://rig.powerpulsar.com/#news

The delay in this Email here was to give a chance to Mr Vieira-Kurz to reply
before posting here, but he never did. Whether he never sent the
notification, sent it to the wrong address, or sent it to the right one, but
the internet ate it, we can't say without his cooperation.

Marc
(not the author of RIG, just posting the link here for those who might not
be on the user list, and didn't get the fix and the original upgrade
announcement attached in this mail)
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/

View attachment "rig" of type "text/plain" (4832 bytes)