Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:10:22 -0700
From: Jon Hart <jhart@...ofed.org>
To: Ariel Biener <ariel@...t.tau.ac.il>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Re: Linux Kernel 2.6.x PRCTL Core Dump Handling - Local r00t Exploit ( BID 18874 / CVE-2006-2451 )

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 01:23:10AM +0300, Ariel Biener wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 July 2006 03:15, Roman Medina-Heigl Hernandez wrote:
>
> Ignore my previous post, it does create a setuid bash version in /tmp/sh, the
> reason it doesn't work is due to SELinux contexts.

This is an important note, IMO.   While the original advisory states
that only kernels >= 2.6.13 and <= 2.6.17.4 are vulnerable, it looks
like, somehow, the same vulnerable code is present in patched Redhat
kernels.  The previous poster had a 2.6.9 version, and I've just
verified that 2.6.9-11.ELsmp (provided with RH EL 4 update 1) is also
vulnerable.

If this is the case of backporting, this should come as no surprise.  If
it is not a backport issue, what vulnerability is being exploited on
these supposedly older kernels?

-jon