Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 04:58:18 -0500
From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@...e-clan.net>
To: dev@...pd.apache.org
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Announcement] Apache HTTP Server 2.2.3 (2.0.59, 1.3.37) Released

Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>                     Apache HTTP Server 2.2.3 Released
>>    CVE-2006-3747: An off-by-one flaw exists in the Rewrite module,
>>    mod_rewrite, as shipped with Apache 1.3 since 1.3.28, 2.0 since 2.0.46,
>>    and 2.2 since 2.2.0.
> Is a release in the 2.0.x (2.0.59) soon to follow ?

If you continued reading a few para's down...

> Apache HTTP Server 1.3.37 and 2.0.59 legacy releases are also available
> with this security fix. See the appropriate CHANGES from the url above.
> The Apache HTTP Project developers strongly encourage all users to
> migrate to Apache 2.2, as only limited maintenance is performed on these
> legacy versions.

We don't expect to be publishing simultaneous spam for the old flavors every
time we release the main version; essentially it propagates the idea that the
1.3 / 2.0 branches are actively developed and maintained.  We will likely fix
security flaws as they come up, but most of the time a single announcement
suffices.  (Oh, and check out the subject line too :)

Bill