Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:07:27 -0700
From: Mike Kuriger <m@...com>
To: Yannick von Arx <yanux@...ux.ch>
Cc: Erik Lat <erik.lat@...tech.com>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Apple Remote Desktop root vulneravility

if I'm reading this right, it looks like a non-logged in workstation
could be vulnerable to a local root use if an admin is running an remote
install.  so the "attacker" would have to know that a remote operation
is going on and the "attacker" would need physical access.  or I may
just be reading this wrong.

~mike~

Yannick von Arx wrote:

> [...]
>>> silent installation script. The script will mount disk  images as
>>> root, run the install, then cleanup. If a standard user  is logged
>>> in, they will see an icon on the dock for the install,  but should
>>> never see anything besides the icon.
>>>
>>> The issue:
>>> The process LoginWindow is owned by the logged in user. If the
>>> system is at the login window, then the process LoginWindow is
>>> owned by root. If the system is mounting a disk image visible only
>>> to root, then the image will try to appear on the desktop.  Clicking
>>> the mouse will force the desktop to appear, as well as  the menus. A
>>> user sitting that the system will then see a finder  window, and the
>>> root users home directory. The login window can be  ignored, and the
>>> user has full root access. Files can be deleted  without
>>> authentication, and the trash can be emptied. If a user  tries to
>>> login, the login window will check their credentials, but  they will
>>> end up logging in to the root desktop with root privileges.
>>>
>>> The workaround:
>>> If you are trying to run a remote install script such as the Adobe
>>> Silent installer, use the lock screen feature in ARD. This locks
>>> the users desktop until the admin is done doing their thing.
>>>
>>> The end result:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/metfoo/246858852/
>>>
>>> Adobes script:
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> #
>>> # Example script to run the Adobe Creative Suite 2 Installer  silently.
>>> #
>>> #
>>> # Copyright: 2005 Adobe Systems, Inc.
>>> #
>>> #
>>>

>>> function detach_images
>>> {
>>>     # umount any previous mounted installer images
>>>     for NUMBER in 1 2 3 4
>>>     do
>>>         MOUNTED_POINT="/Volumes/Adobe Creative Suite Disk ${NUMBER} "
>>>         /sbin/mount |/usr/bin/grep "${MOUNTED_POINT}" 2>/dev/null
>>>         if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
>>>             echo "Another \"${MOUNT_POINT}\" already attached."
>>>             DEVICE=`/sbin/mount |/usr/bin/grep "${MOUNTED_POINT}"
>>> 2>/dev/ null |/usr/bin/cut -d" " -f1`
>>>             if [ -b "${DEVICE}" ] ; then
>>>                 /usr/bin/hdiutil detach "${DEVICE}"
>>>                 echo "Detaching \"${DEVICE}\"..."
>>>             fi
>>>         fi
>>>     done
>>> }
>>>

>>> SAVEDIR="`pwd`"
>>> trap 'cd "${SAVEDIR}"' EXIT
>>>

>>> if [ $# -ne 2 ] ; then
>>>     echo "usage: $0 <image folder> <config filepath>"
>>>     exit 1
>>> fi
>>>
>>> IMGDIR=$1
>>> CONFIG=$2
>>>

>>> # Check OS Version, Minimum is 10.2.8
>>> OSVERSION=`/usr/bin/sw_vers |/usr/bin/grep ProductVersion |/usr/
>>> bin/cut -d: -f2`
>>> MAJORVER=`echo ${OSVERSION} | /usr/bin/cut -d . -f2`
>>> MVTEMP=`echo ${OSVERSION} | /usr/bin/cut -d. -f3`

--
Mike Kuriger
Sr. Systems Engineer