Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 22:21:41 +0100
From: "chinese soup" <noodle.mastah@...il.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Internet Explorer 6 CSS "expression" Denial of Service Exploit (P.o.C.)

Someone pointed out to me my mistake in berrating other people when
they were just helping out with the issue that they feel would be
helpful, so I apologize to the second poster who tested it on IE7
(since yes, IE7 should be tested as well on these issues. and IMO, IE7
is WAY better than firefox, until at least they fix some issues hehe.
yes, the irony.). But for others who wanted to post it for IE6 on a
whatever version of Windows, pthooowheeey to youu!!!

and, I am still too lazy at figuring out the issue, but it so
happens that I looked into my magic-noodle-bowl-of-enlightenment
and...

*in a big booming voice reminiscent of what-other-people-call-GOD (and
yes, i was quite shocked to realized that it talked!*

"WHAT DOES THE CODE DO, YOUNG GRASSHOPPER?"
*grasshopper my ass.*
*opens poc in IE.*
"Ehrm, it opens a new instance of itself in a new window? and each new
window opens a new window because it uses the same code? *light-bulb*
like those dolls that open up to reveal another doll,although smaller,
and THAT opens up to reveal another smaller doll, and that smaller
doll opens up again to reveal YET another
smaller-than-the-previous-dolls..."

"STOP!!!! BUT YES, YOU ARE SOMEWHAT CORRECT! WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU KEEP
ON OPENING WINDOWS, YOUNG GRASSHOPPER?"
*quit it with the grashopper thing!"
"Hmmm.... I guess the system would run out of memory to create the new window?"

"AND?!?!?!"
*stares at noodle bowl.*
".... and... probably opening tons of windows consumes memory...
and... so... the crash? Just like when you reach the last doll and it
doesn't open so you throw it against the wall to break it and see
what's inside?"

"NOT VERY WELL SAID, BUT I BELIEVE YOU GET THE IDEA. WELL DONE, YOUNG
GRASSHOPPER. ALTHOUGH I WOULD SAY YOU NEED MORE PRACTICE!!!! AND
PLEASE, DO NOT USE THE METAL-BRUSH WHEN YOU WASH ME, IT HURTS. NOW GO
AND STUDY MORE!"

"Wait!!! now I have questions!!"
"Can this be leveraged to execute code?!?!"
"how come the 'width' field allows some sort of code, and not just
arithmetic operations?!?!"
"What about the other PoC's?! You only discussed one!!!"

"LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF!!! USE YOUR eE-nner EYE!!!"

*o-keeeey then*

enlightened,

"you know why noodles tastes great on a rainy night? it's because the
cooks have runny noses. mmmmm"