Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 10:59:17 -1000
From: Jim Manico <jim@...ico.net>
To: Ronald Chmara <ron@...s1.COM>
Cc: Darren Reed <avalon@...igula.anu.edu.au>,
	Jim Harrison <Jim@...tools.org>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: PHP as a secure language? PHP worms? [was: Re: new linux malware]

> I'm quite confident that someone could develop a very secure
interpreted language.

Thats a moot point, it's not about languages anymore, it's about
FRAMEWORKS on top of languages with security baked in.

In Java my team has one "validation" servlet that every request must go through - so even if my junior programmers screw up, I'm catching it in a "framework-like" way. Struts Java framework allows you to validate form/request data via XML configuration so an InfoSec guy can add regex's to each-and-every element of your forms AFTER the fact WITHOUT programmer intervention.

In .NET, we win. .NET does not scale well (MySpace is suffering the cost of trying to deploy .NET globally, poor guys) BUT - .NET has a framework that automagically does input validation for you - and almost does it well. There WAS a 2.0 framework input validation bug a few months back, but MS patched it up within hours of discovery, and heck, most PPL are at .NET 1.1 still. Even the craptacular Drupal (4.7.4+) CMS PHP framework does CSRF protection very well via form keys. How many of your web apps defend again CSRF right now?

I prefer Java and am not fond of M$, but I must nod my head to the security considerations baked into .NET (If only it scaled well) and some of the more mature Java frameworks like Struts.

In the future - we will code web apps only to frameworks (or raw languages will start to add framework features at the language core). No more of this "raw language" BS for web apps (sorry Swa, wherever you are). It's all about the frameworks! Programmers are NOT coding more securely, I've seen architects recently not even able to TALK to me about CSRF, let alone defend against it! Pick a framework with a good security history, use it, and track it in a rather meticulous way.

- Jim

--
Best Regards,
Jim Manico