Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:16:48 -0800
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@...ell.com>
To: "bugtraq-securityfocus.com" <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: NDSS: Network and Distributed Systems Security

This is the call for participation for the annual Network and
Distributed System Security conference, starting in two weeks February
28th to March 2nd in San Diego http://www.isoc.org/isoc/conferences/ndss/07/

NDSS is a traditional scholarly academic security conference with a peer
reviewed track of papers
http://www.isoc.org/isoc/conferences/ndss/07/program.shtml

However, this year we have made a special effort to make NDSS more
relevant to security practitioners by adding an invited talks track
focused on security threats by some leading practitioners. Our invited
talks schedule is:

    * Keynote: Vernor Vinge, professor emeritus of computer science at
      UCSD, founder of the science fiction cyberpunk genre, quadruple
      Hugo award winner for the novels "A Fire Upon the Deep" and "A
      Deepness in the Sky", and the stories "Fast Times at Fairmont
      High" and "The Cookie Monster", and notable futurologist for the
      notion of the technological singularity. Of particular interest to
      me as a security geek is that software security is a key element
      of "Deepness in the Sky", and it is *correct* :)
    * H1kari of ToorCon speaking on "Breaking Wireless and Mac OS-X
      Encryption with FPGAs"
    * John Viega, McAfee Chief Security Architect on "Malware in the
      Real World"
    * Tom Liston, speaking on work with Ed Skoudis, on "Virtual Machine
      Security Issues"
    * Jim Hoagland, speaking on work with Oliver Friedrichs on "A
      Network Attack Surface Analysis of RTM Windows Vista"
    * Panel "Red Teaming and Hacking Games: How Much Do They Really
      Help?", moderated by Crispin Cowan, with panelists:
          o John Viega, Kenshoto/Defcon CtF organizer
          o Rodney Thayer, member of a winning Kenshoto/Defcon CtF team
          o Giovanni Vigna, professor UCSB, leader of 2005 Defcon CtF
            winning team
          o Dennis W. Mattison, member of organizing team for ToorCon
            RootWars CtF game
          o Rizzo, member of the GhettoHackers, who dominated Defcon CtF
            for 4 years, and then revolutionized the game with a new set
            of rules & infrastructure in 2001

We hope for a lively exchange of views in the "hall track" between
academic security researchers and industrial security practitioners.
Come share your skills and frighten a professor :)

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.                      http://crispincowan.com/~crispin/
Director of Software Engineering, Novell  http://novell.com